Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Looking Forward to the Weekend!

What's this? Two blog posts within a month of each other?! Shocking!

Well, I wanted to update, because Friday is the release of the 3DS and I'll need some serious hassling to write a blog post about mine (permitting Amazon pull through and get it to me!) because I'll probably be showing it around to my family (prying it off dad, no doubt) as well as playing Pokémon White again (at last). I want to at least put something on here about it, maybe some pictures or whatever as well as my thoughts compared to this post.

A quick bit of background on as to why I ordered the 3DS, My DSi XL had been abused, quite frankly, and my Action Replay had damaged the cartridge slot as I found out a couple of weeks ago. It got the point where the DSi XL would turn itself off if it was knocked or rattled while playing a game, this made it difficult when out and about with pokémon (in tag mode) or playing it the car on the way to hospital appointments!

Amazon were doing a deal where you trade in your "old" DSi XL and you got (almost) half the price off a 3DS. GAME were doing a similar deal, however, they would of course thoroughly check to make sure it was absolutely perfect before selling it on in store. Amazon use a "3rd party" trade company who will no doubt send it miles away and it has the potential to be "damaged in transit" I know it's bad, but I did lose out on the extra £20 game were offering... Anyway, the 3DS is costing me just over £100 and a new XL would cost me £150, makes sense really, plus it'll actually be supported for a couple of years... That's why I decided to order one.

I was skeptical of the 3DS, the auto-stereoscopy is just a gimmick and I couldn't care less about it, stereoscopic cameras are pointless and it's basically a way for nintendo to print more money. I ordered one (as I said, it was cheaper than a new XL) and then decided to research it. Some of it's "lesser known" features are amazing and look perfect to waste time with. I love the idea of other people "visiting" my 3DS and it doing updates and downloading new content automatically. What does seem weak is the battery, but if I can find my USB cable (or get a new one as they're £1...) I can use my Solio!

As you can tell, I'm quite excited about it, oddly, more so than I am about the iPad 2; which also comes out here in the UK on Friday. To me doesn't feel like much of an upgrade as it's just a speed bump and has cameras, plus I'm perfectly happy with mine (although iOS 4.3 has some "issues"). The 3DS is new and honestly, I want to get back into playing DS games. The thing is supposed to exceed the power of the Wii (which to be fair, isn't hard) and the games will only improve with time (plus, pokémon!) and there maybe even more surprises coming. So yes, I was skeptical, and I still am with regard to some things, but I have a higher opinion of it now; and who knows, I might even be wrong about the auto-stereoscopy (pfffft!)

Edit: Oh, I was wrong. Veeeeery wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment